Russia is a massive country with a somewhat infamous reputation. It is the largest country in the world spanning Eastern Europe all the way to Asia. The country’s culture is a hodgepodge of all the influences coming from other nations surrounding its borders. Adding to the infamy of Russia is the rich historical background steeped in political and economic conflict. In spite of the rather grim history of this country, many people find Russia a fascinating place to explore. An internship in Russia may be a once in a lifetime experience you wouldn’t want to miss.
Benefits of interning in Russia
Anywhere in the world, an international internship has some benefits. If you choose Russia in particular, you will have the following advantages:
- If you are pursuing a career in politics or international relations with a focus on Eastern Europe, an internship in Russia is your ticket to learning the language and immersing in the local culture. Communicating in a second language is a skill best learned in practice, and if you are exposed to people coming from different social, economic, and educational backgrounds, you’ll have a more well-rounded experience.
- Your perspective on global relations will improve as you live among locals and experience the culture of Russia. What is taught in classrooms can be vastly different from what you learn on the streets and while mingling with people.
- An internship in Russia will also help you hone skills crucial to getting your dream career. You’ll find that an immersive experience abroad will further develop your academic skills as well as your personality.
You can find some internship programs such as those offered by the Patokh Chodiev Foundation in cooperation with the Moscow State Institute of International Relations. They are the premier institution in Russia for studies in politics and international law. By applying to an internship program such as those offered by MGIMO, you will have a chance to work with some of the experts in Russian politics.
What to love about Russia
An internship in Russia is not all about work. Certainly, if you want to go to Russia, you will likely also have other reasons which might include the following:
- Historical landmarks and stunning architecture which boast of diverse influences and styles. These buildings are often the focal point of any person’s to-do list while visiting the country.
- The country itself is enormous. You have plenty of places to explore and different cultures to experience. Moving from one end of the country’s border to another will open your eyes to the vastness of the country with its mixture of Asian and European influences.
- Russia is a haven for art lovers. If you visit Russia, you will be amazed at the variety of art forms to see and experience. There are famous Ballet companies, theatres, museums, art exhibits, music, and various other types of artistic expression ingrained in Russia’s way of life.
Russia is no longer a country shrouded in mystery. There is no better time than now to experience what the nation has to offer by considering an internship.