Although not as heralded as it’s two wheeled counterpart the motorcycle, the ATV or the quad bike has grown in popularity for both work and leisure. In fact, there are also nationally recognised races and tournaments where the best riders pit their wits against each other for trophies and cash prizes.
The first recognized All Terrain Vehicle emerged in the 1960’s with the Jiger (1961) and the Amphicat (1968/1969). The first versions were semi amphibious vehicles and not at all like the ATVs we would recognize on farms and at leisure parks today. If you’d like to see the most up to date versions and perhaps even arrange a test ride, Quadbikes R Us have adult quad bikes in a variety of sizes and engine capacities and are suitable for everyone, from the complete novice to the full-blown racing enthusiast. There even models suitable for children with a wide range of sizes to suit almost all ages but it should be noted that they should be supervised at all times.
All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Timeline
- 1968 – Sperry-Rand Tricart is said to be first multipurpose ATV; and although a three-wheeler, this model led the way for Honda to produce their ATC which is generally regarded as a precursor to ATV’s as we know them today.
- 1970 – Honda US90 or ATC90 – Designed for purely recreational use, this model was featured in popular US TV shows and firmly put the ATV into the public domain.
- 1979 – The Honda AC110 gave riders the opportunity to really open up the throttle and get to grips with driving at relative speed.
- 1985 – Kawasaki KL200 – This model, comparatively speaking, beefier 3-wheel machine was the precursor to the hugely popular Kawasaki 4-wheeler Bayou 185 which in turn led to Kawasaki’s first 4-Wheel Drive ATV which debuted in 1989.
- 1990s – ATV’s became the must have vehicle for farms across the world (particularly the USA) with the leader in the field being the Honda Fourtrax 300.
- Present Day – Popular for both work and play, ATVs of various models and sizes are becoming regular fixtures, with the Chinese manufactured models becoming particularly popular due to their relatively low cost.
Considering Buying an ATV?
If you are considering buying an ATV for work or leisure, it is important to be armed with the right knowledge. The best sellers at the time of writing include:
- Special Edition Road Legal Yamaha YFM700R Raptor
- TGB Blade 550SL 4×4 IRS
- SMC Max 700 EFI EPS 4×4 Road Legal Quad Bike
- Yamaha YXZ1000R SS Sports Side by Side Road Legal
- Yamaha YFZ450R – Race Quad
Whichever quad you decide to buy will depend on a number of factors and it makes sense to visit a reputable quad supplier. All you need to do is speak to the quad supplier about what you want to use the machine for, and he will make a number of recommendations based on your requirements. An experienced quad specialist will also be able to provide you with care tips and a recommended service and maintenance schedule.
To read more on topics like this, check out the lifestyle category.